Translate

Sunday 8 April 2012

Stop The Violence

Back in February I attended the 56th Commission on the Status of Women at the United Nations HQ in New York as a delegate for the World Association of Girlguides and Girl Scouts (WAGGGS) representing Girlguiding UK (GUK).
Myself at the CSW sign at the UN.
One of our many roles as being a WAGGGS delegate was to promote the Stop The Violence campaign.





I didn't realise the problem was so severe:
  • Globally, up to 6 out of every 10 women experience physical and/or sexual violence in their lifetime.
  • 60 million girls are sexually assaulted at or on their way to school each year.
  • 60 million girls worldwide are child brides.
  • Violence against girls puts them at higher risk of contracting HIV.
Reading those statistic's for the first time made me feel sick, and they still do. I really glad that WAGGGS has a campaign in place and hopes to launch a non-formal education programme that can be used to raise awareness and combat the issue.
Currently WAGGGS are trying to encouraging everyone to add their voice to their Stop The Violence campaign, I already have :)
http://www.wagggsworld.org/en/take_action/violence#commentform

This is my WAGGGS collection I made earlier this morning. It includes information about the campaign, wristbands, and the WAGGGS scarf. Also an article about Lynne Featherstone.

Lynne Featherstone, who I met back in November 2011 at the launch at the Girls Attitudes Survey results. Lynne Featherstone is the Equalities Minister for UK attended the CSW too. I met her again at the British Ambassador reception in New York, she told me that she recognised me (I was in my Guiding uniform) - but that was a wonderful moment.
Lynne, recognises the Stop The Violence campaign along with UN Women :)

WAGGGS Stop The Violence Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAKtiEFjcnA
WAGGGS International Womens Day Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIGue5fiZjQ
The Girl Effect: The clock is ticking - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e8xgF0JtVg

Do something powerful today and add your voice to the Stop the Violence campaign!

No comments:

Post a Comment